Friday, October 14, 2005

I had a peak experience. Are these experiences safe?

In August of 2005 I held a class on the chakras. One of the attendees had an interesting question to ask me. The following entry includes the question and my reply. I hope you find the information useful.

=====================================================
Dear Wendy,

A while back I was reading quite a bit about kundalini, meditating and other subjects along those lines. Several different sources said something along the lines of, "Don't force the release of kundalini or it will cause severe anxiety and other negative reactions." Obviously I'm paraphrasing.

Anyway, as I was meditating one day, I found myself becoming very comfortable. My first thought was that I was finally learning how to meditate correctly. I meditated for a few more minutes and something in my mind started playing, but I don't think it was me that was driving these thoughts... All of a sudden, a white beam of light was stretched out in front of me and I saw that I was on the edge of the light.

The light seemed like it was a hole, a long rectangular crevasse that was cutting through the black in my mind. I don't know what made the decision, but suddenly I - er... I think it was me
- was jumping into this crevasse.

Now, this is where it gets crazy...

While feeling weightless, I felt emotions at that point that I can only describe as pure ecstacy. My immediate thought was, I'm being born. Now, I can say that I LOVED the feelings that I was receiving... but I stayed in this place for about 10 seconds before I started getting freaked out (I remembered what I had read about kundalini and did NOT want to discover the ill-effects of
releasing it too soon). When I opened my (physical) eyes, I noticed that I had goosebumps all over my body and a tingling sensation in my spine.

I don't even know what questions to ask other than... what the heck was that? Should that have freaked me out? Do you think I should have stayed? And why, oh why, can't I ever get that back? I've tried over and over again, but since it happened (about four years ago), I haven't experienced anything like it. What do you think?

Thanks for any advice you might have!
Darren Pope

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MY REPLY

Darren,

I'm so glad that you asked this question or really, shared this story with me. There is nothing like being personally touched by the divine in a profound way. When this happens, it leaves a permanent mark on your psyche. I know that I have had a few experiences myself that bring me to tears when I think about them and they brought me to tears when I experienced them.

Anyway, what you had was a peak experience just like what I was talking about in class last Thursday. It was definitely a good thing and not a bad thing. You have and had at the time, nothing to worry about in terms of danger to yourself. It is true that if you use certain techniques and release energies too soon without the proper training or preparation to handle the outcomes, you can literally end up in the loony bin! But this is not likely if all that you are doing is meditating. Usually, people get into trouble if they are using more powerful energy techniques, powerful rituals, or drugs that affect your psyche like ayahuasca or peyote.

In your case, you were in a profound state of surrender that relaxed you enough for part of your consciousness to move out from your body into the spiritual realms (literally other dimensions). When I looked into this event energetically, I got the impression that the profound love that you felt was from a greater part of yourself. I'll say it was your soul but it may be much bigger than that like a soul group which would include other souls, guides, master beings, etc.

The way to get there again is to continue to meditate and keep in mind the act of surrender. You can only get there by doing without doing as the taoists say. The more relaxed you are, the easier it is to move beyond our everyday reality to experience other dimensions and realities. You could have some incredible adventures!

As I read your email message and thought about your experience, Bob Monroe kept coming to my mind. He is a modern day Out of Body traveler who has written several books on the topic of out of body travel. I highly recommend that you read all three of his classic works, Journeys Out of the Body, Far Journeys, and Ultimate Journey.

You can find the list of his books along with a breif description of my impressions of the books and my experience at the Monroe Institute, his facility that teaches out of body travel, at this link: http://www.wendywilliams.org/products.htm If you feel so inclined, you can order the books from my website.

Feel free to email me any time with any questions you may have.

Take care!

Wendy

2 Comments:

At 3/12/2008 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so interesting, please update!

 
At 8/18/2011 9:17 PM, Anonymous Proxy Guy said...

Karen is a spam bot..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home